Thursday 10 August 2017

Beat Writer's Block

We all struggle with writer's block sometimes. Be it when writing job applications, an important email, or even a text to a friend, all of this writing can be difficult. I enjoy writing, but am very critical of my self, which is why sometimes I need these tricks to help me take the first step on the road to writing something, be it poetry or prose.

Here are some writing tips that I use for when I need a nudge:

Oneword - the website that gives you a single word to write on for 60 seconds. It's just the pick me up that you need to be inspired to write. I've got little paragraphs here and there that are slotted into a story that came from one word first.

Stream of consciousness writing can also be helpful, set a timer for 15 minutes and start to write. the struggle is always starting, but once you start it will come even if you start with: I don't know what to write right now. There is a website that simulates this called write or die, which is a fun way to stimulate yourself.

Find a headline and make up your own story. Local papers and red tops usually have headlines that have minimal information and a pun to work with.

Make a story board. My trouble is often when I start I just start from the middle of a scene I've had an idea from and I struggle to then piece together the plot and B characters around this idea. So I've also found that when I start to build that kind of thing first, I often get excited about one thread of the story I'm following and will end up writing that scene.

Try NaNoWriMo. If deadlines and structure are your thing, it's nearly time to join thousands of writers who use National Novel Writing Month (November) to write 50,000 words in 30 days. It's a great way to get a first draft of a book if you work well to that pressure or think you need it!

Of course, my number one recommendation to get inspired is to read something beautiful. The best thing is to revisit something you love that will remind you why you love to read and to write. Poetry works well for me, but might be a favourite novel that you pick up.



No comments:

Post a Comment