Thursday 11 August 2016

Man Booker Short List Wish List

I have been listening to the Man Booker Podcast to get me in the mood for the prize giving excitement. There are 13 on the long list this year, the list is available here. However, from the summaries and reviews from the judges, these are the 6 that I am hoping make it onto the shortlist this year in a few weeks time. I've also relied heavily on this article.

The Schooldays of Jesus
JM Coetzee
I think this one will definitely make it through. Coetzee is the only author to have won the Man Booker prize twice. Even if it doesn't win, it is just too exciting to have the possibility that he might with three times and I think it will make its way to the shortlist this year. It's out in September, which makes it difficult to predict as few people have read it. One of the judges describes it as "baffling." Not sure if that's a compliment or not... I think its a strong contender and would not be upset to see it on the list this year.

Serious Sweet
AL Kennedy
This one really caught my eye. It is her eighth novel and is described as lyrical. I particularly like that it is set in London and over the course of 24 hours. The British Before Sunrise? (but better obviously). It definitely makes my wishlist this year and I hope it makes it onto the shortlist. The author is a tutor at Warwick University.

All That Man Is
David Szalay
The favourite to win! Has some controversial points in that it is nine linked stories. some debate if it's even a novel at all... INTERESTED MUCH? I am.

His Bloody Project
Graeme Macrae Burnet
The only crime novel on the list. It is said to be the most surprising on the list by the guardian. I'm not sure if it means because it is a crime novel or because it is published by a small independent publisher. Either way it is said to "transcend its genre" and that sounds like a great read.

Work Like Any Other
Virginia Reeves
Is one of the debut novels on the list, and is a historical novel set in 1920s Alabama with a very interesting plot line. It is one of my worries with first time novelists that they will not have developed their style to an enjoyable level yet. Similarly great ideas get crammed into one book when really they need a sprawling three book series, which is harder to sell. So what you get is great ideas that feel rushed and poorly thought out or worse, badly edited. Here's hoping this one does well.

Do Not Say We Have Nothing
Madeline Thien
My Chinese culture interest comes in here with this book that tells a woman's story about her experience of the cultural revolution. It peaks my interest more than the rest, and is the kind of book I would pick up any way.

Good luck to all of the authors! These are the ones that I really hope make it to the short list. I will review my TBR list once the shortlist comes out.



Rest of the list
The Sellout - Paul Beatty
Hot Milk - Deborah Levy
The North Water - Ian McGuire
Hystopia - David Means
The Many - Wyl Menmuir
Eileen - Ottessa Moshfegh
My Name is Lucy Barton - Elizabeth Strout


No comments:

Post a Comment