Saturday 14 December 2013

The Alphabet in Books - O

O is for Orlando

Orlando
Virginia Woolf
Hogarth Press 11/10/1928 Kindle
4/5
Kindle Classics

In a strange turn of events, I actually saw the film of Orlando before the book. I found the story much more dark, confusing and bizarre than the film and I really enjoyed that, it felt like I was unwrapping a secret part of the story I didn't know before. I loved the Tiresus style gender bending and the struggles of the genders between them selves. The exploration of ying and yan in a persons' personality as well as their body was interesting as well as the impact of a woman losing her fortune and rights in a world where she was once a man.

It was fantastical in all the right ways and incredibly readable. I was surprised as I've struggled with Woolf's essays before and thought the book would be another dribble of musings from the mind. I find stream of consciousness style writing quite self indulgent actually, so I was pleased to find that Orlando was very well constructed and not in the least annoying. I might even try another of Virginia's soon (first name basis, obviously).

No comments:

Post a Comment