Thursday 3 December 2015

November Novels

Double post today! Remember to check out my Advent Calendar as well.

The Bone Clocks
David Mitchel
Sceptre 2/9/2014 paperback
4/5
Amazon

I saw so many people reading The Bone Clocks on the tube that I had to buy it for myself as a little pre-Christmas treat. This story has that strange quality where even half way through I wasn't entirely sure where the story was going. But the writing was exquisite and pulled me in through each section of the book. It's such a slow build up, but I felt that the climax was a bit rushed.

Spoilers ahead.

I always have an aversion to anyone describing force fields etc with colour. Oh the red shield pushed the blue shield which they threw out with their mind. I just find it a bit lazy because it's like describing a movie version to titillate VIEWERS. I'm a reader, let me imagine it without attributing colours.

All in all, I think anything that was happening in the real world with slightly odd happenings, like meeting strange old ladies or experiencing a spirit talking through someone was brilliant, realistic and well handled, the mad force field throwing psychic battle was pretty poor, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire did it better, unfortunately.

The story tied together very nicely and I would love to read more of Mitchel's books. But less of the mystical Illuminati story next time. I've heard good things about Cloud Atlas.

No comments:

Post a Comment