Thursday 20 August 2015

Selling Out

So many of my classmates of the 2013 graduating class still harbour the ambition to become authors, journalists and publishers. I also still have that ambition but with our arts degrees and the pressure of living back at our parents' or suddenly burning through that last scrap of student loan sometimes the only option is to bite the bullet and get a job that doesn't immediately shout "dream opportunity".


I think it is important that graduates remember that their career is a long road, they could be in full time work for the next 50 years so it is not the end of the world if the first couple of jobs are not ideal. Everything takes time and in the grand scheme of things you only need to be at each stepping stone job for a year or two before it is acceptable to move on.


The other thing to remember is that transferable skills are everywhere. There are so many stories about my classmates not having enough office experience leading to them missing out on that application. My advice would be to aim for as close to the dream job as possible or for as similar a role as possible which will make the next step an easy transition and make the most of every position.


On the other hand maybe I am defending that route because it is the one I have been forced to take. I hope that this new job will be a stepping stone to my next. I certainly consider it to be more appropriate than my last. My new role is at a publisher of sorts and getting used to a company with a similar culture is helpful.


Always remember make the best of your situation, particularly if it is not exactly where you want to be and that should be enough of an armour against the accusation of selling out or selling your soul to the wrong industry. We've all got to climb the ladder from somewhere, why not let it be from a steady job that pays on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment