Thursday 13 August 2015

Books On The Underground

Every day thousands of people use the underground and so many of them are readers. It's the main place I browse for my next book by taking a look at other people's choices.



How great would it be if that person handed the book to you or left it on the seat? As you pick it up to shout after them you see a black circular sticker on the front cover.




I came across Books On The Underground on twitter about a year ago. They are an amazing organisation run by two book lovers. It's a very simple concept, you finish a book you love and you put a BOTU sticker on it and leave it on the tube for someone else to read. They also do promotions with publishers and authors to get books seen.



Everyone can get involved by emailing them to get your own stickers. I posted recently that I have trouble getting rid of my books once I'm ready to let them go. This is a slow but very satisfying way to do it. Why not definitely give your books a good home on the tube? Ofcourse you can just leave books lying around anywhere but I THINK that Books On The Underground have got some kind of agreement with TFL that the books are left where they are and not tidied away by staff.


Its a brilliant idea and one that is being taken up by a few different companies. I know a bag/wrapping company that makes bags designed for reuse with an online website that lets you know where your gift bag has travelled. Similarly books that travel the world being read over and over again with the help of a sticker on the front cover. And of course, the little free libraries that are starting to spring up around residential areas.



This is not a sponsered post, I just want as many people as possible to know that this exists and is a great way to share books. The larger the Underground library becomes the more likely it is that you will find one of these gems yourself. I've sent 6 books out on their journeys already.


Visit @BooksUndergrnd on twitter to see everything that they get up to and send them pictures of the books you leave! Order your stickers now and start sharing your books with London.



No comments:

Post a Comment