Thursday 16 October 2014

Bloomsbury

My Bloomsbury Review

I worked for Bloomsbury for 12 months. In 3 chunks.

2 weeks, 4 weeks, and 6 weeks.

The time I spent there built up every time and I met more and more of the staff and explored  their enormous building. Every week more of the senior staff started to recognize me and gave me a smile in the corridors.

One of the things I loved about Bloomsbury, which is also one of the most important things about where you choose to work, is that they produced great books. I was always able to be enthusiastic about the books that we were working on. It is always easier to love your job if you believe in the product.

The Facts
Bloomsbury run a loose internship scheme from 2-4 weeks in any given department, usually Editorial, Marketing and PR have interns. However if you have a particular interest or talent in another department make that clear in your application. Sometimes they can squeeze you in. (I had an eye opening two days in the Production department)

The work experience that Bloomsbury provide is unpaid, however they do pay travel expenses.  They do not pay for your lunch.

Bloomsbury offices are on Bedford Square in London near Tottenham Court Road on the Central and Northern Line.

Why I loved it
Bloomsbury feels like a publishing house the moment you step inside. The reception has floor to ceiling bookshelves crammed with books, there is a heavy dark carpet and big chairs with leather seats. Some publishing houses or literary agencies can seem almost sterile and they hide their books. (I won't name names)

The two teams that I worked on were awesome. I worked in Marketing and in Children's Editorial, both of which were incredibly useful in getting my current job which incorporates skills from both. Everyone is down to earth and great to work with, there is a definite team feel to everything that they do.

I would love to work for Bloomsbury again one day, my internships there have sparked an interest in them that I don't think I will ever shake. Until that day though I will just have to continue reading their books.

No comments:

Post a Comment