Thursday 12 June 2014

It's Not All Bad

I know that I compare my own successes against my friends, and it is easy for me to lose sight of the positives. It can sometimes feel like I am in a hiatus in my life.  While many of my friends have jobs and are starting out on their career paths, I am in suspended animation, continuously working but staying in the same position. 


I recently turned twenty-three and on top of that, for the past few weeks I have been in an internship where I felt undervalued, unwelcome and therefore consistently apathetic towards what little work I was given.  I do not feel like I learnt anything in the whole six weeks.  It has been a huge factor in this stagnant feeling.


The good news is that I have left.  I have two very exciting internships coming up.  The first is with a digital publishing company that runs a mobile and web app for young writers.  They work very closely with their users and I am looking forward to getting stuck in. The second is with an independent publisher with an established internship program.  I'm glad to be going to a respected indi and I hope that I get to do something really exciting while I'm there.


I also am still applying to jobs most days, and sometimes I get interviews. Getting to interview stage is really good news and it definitely boosts my confidence that I am doing the right thing on paper.  The problem now is that there aren't that many jobs to apply for. Occasionally something will pop up that I can apply to but I need a new strategy.  At the moment I have been waiting for the jobs to come up on job search sites, except for Bloomsbury because I want to work there, so I check it everyday. I'm going to start applying that approach to everywhere I want to work so that I can apply as soon as something comes up.

The other good news is that I won an Emerald Street competition and enjoyed a day of beauty treatments in London AND Last weekend I went to Paris! It really isn't that bad.

UPDATE: I applied to a Bloomsbury Editorial Role in Children's. My favorite department. I didn't make it to the interview shortlist. gutted. really gutted.




No comments:

Post a Comment